www.monumentaustralia.org.au

Chapel of St GeorgePrint Page Print this page

The Chapel of St George was dedicated to the memory of  the men of the Parish who gave their lives in the Great War. The church was officially opened and dedicated on the 21st July 1928 with the chapel being dedicated on the 11th November 1928. 

Built in the early Gothic style a new brick church will be dedicated on Saturday afternoon next for the Anglican parish of St. Mark's, Camberwell. Many features new to Australian church architecture are included in the building. One of the most striking furnishings is a large reredos, in which is set a silver plaque containing a reproduction of Leonardo da Vinci's painting "The Last Supper."  The lighting follows the plan adopted in Liverpool Cathedral, England, for electric lamps of lantern shape hang from the roof by chains. A soldiers' memorial chapel and a special baptistry have also been provided. The architects ot the building, which cost £21,000, were Messrs. R. Alsop and B. Smith, and the contractor was Mr. H. G. White. The opening service on Saturday will be a notable gathering, for in addition to the vicar general of the diocese (Dean Aickin), four bishops will take part,  Bishop Armstrong, Bishop Green, Bishop Langley, and the Bishop of Bendigo (Dr. J Baker). The vicar of the parish is the Rev. J. A. Schofield.
Argus (Melbourne), 18 July 1928.

Location

Address:1 Canterbury Road (Corner Burke Road) , St Mark`s Anglican , Camberwell, 3124
State:VIC
Area:AUS
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -37.821261
Long: 145.058681
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map

Details

Monument Type:Structure
Monument Theme:Conflict
Sub-Theme:WW1
Monument Designer:R. Alsop & B. Smith (architects)
Monument Manufacturer:H.G. White (contractor)
Link:http://vhd.heritage.vic.gov.au

Dedication

Actual Monument Dedication Date:Sunday 11th November, 1928
Source: VHD, MA
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au
Proudly sponsored by UBC Web Design