Holy Trinity Church of EnglandPrint Page
The Holy Trinity Church was erected as a war memorial in memory of those who died in service or were killed in action during World War One. The foundation stone was laid on 31st December 1921 by Bishop Atkins of the Grafton Diocese as a War Memorial church. The vicar at the time was Rev. Cornelius Foley. Unusually, the lectern, prayer desk and font were donated by families of different faiths as memorials to sons killed in action during the conflict.
On Sunday last the recently erected Church of England at Uki was opened and dedicated by the Right Reverend J. W. Ashton, M.A., Bishop of , Grafton, in the presence of a. very large congregation. The priest in charge of the parochial district (Rev. C. Foley) read the official documents, after which the Bishop congratulated the people on the erection of such an excellent edifice. He mentioned that the sanctuary was a gift in memory of Percy C. Roberts, the lectern was given in memory of H. Deards the. prayer desk in memory of J. Hall and the font in memory of J. Gressinger. Each of these men was killed during the Great War. His Lordship then dedicated the church and the memorials. The new church, which has been dedicated to Holy Trinity, is situated in the main street of Uki on a fairly large area of land. It is rather an imposing building, being 40 feet long by 22 feet wide. On the eastern side is a small transept; opposite is the vestry and on the southern end there is a neat baptistry. The furnishings are in polished oak and an Estey organ has been installed. The church is lighted with the Wizard light. The most striking feature of the interior is the beautiful polished oak altar and reredos, which was given in memory of the late Mr. Perey Roberts, who was killed in the war.
Tweed Daily (Murwillumbah, NSW), 14 November 1922.
|Address:||1473 Kyogle Road, Uki, 2484|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -28.41425|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Actual Monument Dedication Date:||Saturday 31st December, 1921|