St Saviour`s Soldiers Chapel Print Page
The St Saviour's Soldiers Chapel is dedicated to those from the parish who died in service or were killed in action during World War One.
On Sunday morning in the course of the 11 o'clock service at St. Saviour's Anglican Cathedral, Goulburn, a diocesan memorial chapel in the north transept of the building was dedicated by Dr. Radford, Bishop of Goulburn, in which diocese Wagga is situated. The names of the 800 men of the diocese who fell in the Great War are recorded in parish groups on the walls the chapel, which has been built by the generosity of a number of private benefactors, whose contributions towards the cost ranged from £1000 to sums under £1.
The building of the chapel was carried out by the firm of James Durmer of Goulburn, under the direction of Mr. Burcham Clamp, architect, of Sydney. The construction is of Gothic design which harmonises well with the architecture of the remainder of the cathedral. The screen separating the new portion from the main building is of open stone work, in fine Gothic design. On the walls of the chapel, (of the same design as the screen) are panels which bear the names of the fallen sailors and soldiers in whose memory the chapel has been built.
For the ceremony of consecration the cathedral was crowded. The service was that of the Holy Eucharist, sung by the bishop, assisted by thc archdeacons and other clergy of the diocese. Communions made were those of the parents and friends of the men whose names appeared on the walls of the chapel, under the words on the north wall, "Grant unto them, O merciful Lord, eternal rest and let everlasting light shine upon them," and on the south side the sentence, "So they passed over, and all the trumpets sounded for them on the other side," from Bunyan's "Pilgrim's Progress." The inscription on the outer side of the screen, in view of the congregation, was, "This chapel of St. Michael and St. George is dedicated in memory of soldier sons of the church from this diocese who gave their lives in the Great War."
Daily Advertiser (Wagga Wagga, NSW ), 15 November 1922.
|Address:||170 Bourke Street, St Saviour`s Cathedral, Goulburn, 2580|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -34.753256|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Actual Event STart Date:||04-August-1914|
|Actual Event End Date:||28-June-1919|
|Monument Designer:||Messrs Burcham, Clamp & Mackellar|
|Monument Manufacturer:||James Durmer (Goulburn), builder|
|Actual Monument Dedication Date:||Sunday 12th November, 1922|