Toowong Memorial ParkPrint Page
A park commemorates those from Toowong who enlisted during World War One.
The Toowong Town Council has initiated a scheme for perpetuating the names of the soldiers who have enlisted from the town. The proposal takes the form of the laying out of the fine property of 22 acres, recently acquired for a public park at a cost of over £8,090, and situated between Auchenflower and Toowong stations. At a public meeting held recently, at the instance of the Mayor, a committee was appointed, who, with the Mayor, aldermen, town clerk, and engineer, will form a general committee for carrying out the proposal.
The plan has been approved, and subcommittees formed to look after the laying out, preparation for planting, collecting information regarding the soldiers who have enlisted, and general purposes. Every effort will be made to have everything in readiness for the official opening and tree planting on Saturday afternoon, 7th September next. In the meantime, attention is drawn to a notice in our advertising columns asking relations and friends of Toowong soldiers to send in full particulars regarding number, names, rank, battalion, colours; &c., to the town clerk with as little, delay as possible.
The Telegraph (Brisbane,), 22 June 1918.
In February 1919, the ex-mayor of Toowong, Alderman A Richer, in his annual report referred to the planting of 341 trees in the Memorial Park in honour of the soldiers who had enlisted from Toowong. It was intended without delay to further improve the park by straightening the creek and levelling the part known as Chinaman's garden and also plant trees for 50 more names that have been received. He expressed great appreciation for the Town Clerk and engineer who had placed on permanent record the details of 400 soldiers.
The Brisbane Courier, 8th February 1919.
|Address:||Sylvan Road, Memorial Park, Toowong, 4066|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -27.481539|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Actual Event STart Date:||04-August-1914|
|Actual Event End Date:||28-June-1919|
|Actual Monument Dedication Date:||Saturday 7th September, 1918|
This Park Was Officially Opened On The 7th Sept. 1918 By E. H. Macartney Esq. M.L.A.
In Honour Of Those Who Enlisted From The Town During The Great War
1914 - 1919.
TOWN OF TOOWONG
A. H. Richer. Mayor
C. Patterson. J. Hiron.
W. Strickland. J. Hooper.
W. Johnston. F. Watts.
W. H. Booth. J. Boyes.
A. T. Fraser. Town Clerk.
W. H. Huxham. A.M.I.C.E. Engineer.