Geelong Grammar School War MemorialPrint Page
This war memorial was commissioned by the Old Geelong Grammarians Association on 9 June 1923, to commemorate the eighty-eight old boys of the school who were killed during World War One. It was unveiled by the Governor General, Lord Stonehaven on the 24th June 1927.
It was modelled by George Lambert and cast in Melbourne in 1927, and it depicts the triumph of youthful heroism over evil, with a great eagle supported on two war weary Australian soldiers.
The monument is composed of a central male figure wearing loin armoury, who drives a sword into an enormous bird. At his feet are two Australian soldiers, one representing the Light Horse in Palestine and the other from the French trenches.
|Address:||Tower Road, Geelong Grammar School, Corio, 3214|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -38.069878|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Actual Event STart Date:||04-August-1914|
|Actual Event End Date:||28-June-1919|
|Monument Designer:||George Lambert|
|Actual Monument Dedication Date:||Friday 24th June, 1927|
Faithful Unto Death
1914 - 1918
1939 - 1945
1914 - 1918 War Memorial
The War Memorial Cloisters, designed by Harold Desbrowe Annear, were the gift in 1922 of the Old Geelong Grammarians in memory of their fellows who had died on active service as a result of the First World War
The War Memorial, the Bronze Group, is sculpted by George Lambert, official War Artist,
It was given by the Old Geelong Grammarians and unveiled on 24 June 1927 by Lord Stonehaven, Governor-General of Australia.
It represents victory over the tyranny of evil.