www.monumentaustralia.org.au

Lone PinePrint Page Print this page

Payneham RSL Lone Pine Memorial was planted in 2004 with the memorial stone and plaque dedicated in 2008 to commemorate the Battle of Lone Pine during World War One.

The Battle of Lone Pine was fought between Australian and Ottoman Empire forces during the First World War between 6 and 10 August 1915. Part of the Gallipoli campaign, the battle was part of a diversionary attack to draw Ottoman attention away from the main assaults against Sari Bair, Chunuk Bair and Hill 971, which became known as the August Offensive. The main Turkish trench was taken within 20 minutes of the initial charge but this was the prelude to 4 days of intense hand-to-hand fighting, resulting in over 2,000 Australian casualties.

The Lone Pine was the name given to a solitary tree on the Gallipoli Peninsula in Turkey, which marked the site of the Battle of Lone Pine in 1915 during World War One and it was the sole survivor of a group of trees that had been cut down by Turkish soldiers who had used the timber and branches to cover their trenches.

The tree was obliterated during the battle; however, pine cones that had remained attached to the cut branches over the trenches were retrieved by two Australian soldiers and brought home to Australia. Private Thomas Keith McDowell, a soldier of the 23rd Battalion brought a pine cone from the battle site back to Australia, and many years later seeds from the cone were planted by his wife's aunt Emma Gray of Grassmere, near Warrnambool, Victoria and five seedlings emerged, with four surviving. These seedlings were planted in four different locations in Victoria: Wattle Park (May 8, 1933), the Shrine of Remembrance in Melbourne (June 11, 1933), the Soldiers Memorial Hall at The Sisters near Terang (June 18, 1933) and Warrnambool Botanic Gardens (January 23, 1934).

The Shrine of Remembrance's lone pine was felled in August 2012 and the timber used as part of a remembrance project, after a disease known as Diplodia pinea or blue stains fungus as it commonly called killed it.

Another soldier, Lance Corporal Benjamin Smith from the 3rd Battalion, also retrieved a cone and sent it back to his mother (Mrs McMullen) in Australia, who had lost another son at the battle. Seeds from the cone were planted by Mrs McMullen in 1928, from which two seedlings were raised. One was presented to her home town of Inverell (New South Wales) and the other was forwarded to Canberra where it was planted by Prince Henry, Duke of Gloucester at the Australian War Memorial in October 1934.

Location

Address:O G Road, Payneham RSL Garden Of Remembrance , Payneham, 5070
State:SA
Area:AUS
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -34.893691
Long: 138.642235
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map

Details

Monument Type:Tree
Monument Theme:Conflict
Sub-Theme:WW1

Dedication

Actual Monument Dedication Date:Friday 12th December, 2008
Front Inscription

LONE PINE
LONE PINE WAS THE SCENE OF SOME OF THE FIERCEST HAND TO HAND BATTLES BETWEEN TURKISH AND AUSTRALIAN FORCES DURING THE GALLIPOLI CAMPAIGN IN WORLD WAR I.   IT WAS CALLED LONE PINE RIDGE BECAUSE IT WAS DISTINGUISHED BY A  SOLITARY PINE TREE WHICH BORE SILENT WITNESS TO THE HEROISM AND TENACITY OF THE AUSTRALIAN FORCES.

THIS TREE WAS PLANTED HERE IN 2004 BY PRESIDENT CLARRIE POLLARD AND MAYORESS NITA FIORAVANTI AND WAS GROWN FROM SEED FROM THE "ORIGINAL" TURKISH PINE OR PINUS BRUTIA 

DEDICATED BY THE REV. ALLAN WINTER AND UNVEILED BY THE HON. CHRISTOPHER PYNE, FEDERAL MEMBER FOR STURT ON DECEMBER 12TH 2008

Source: MA
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au
Proudly sponsored by UBC Web Design