Newington College Memorial Driveway Print Page
The Memorial Avenue was originally planted with 75 poplars, each with a cross at the foot bearing a plaque with the name of an individual ex-student who died in World War One.
The poplars, many of which had died, were replaced by a new avenue of trees in 1966 and a dedicatory tablet established at the entrance to the driveway.
Fifty of the individual plaques are now in the College Archives. Originally dedicated on the 29th of February 1936, it was re-dedicated on 24th of September 1966.
The Millner memorial gates at Newington College, Stanmore, presented by Colonel T. J. Millner in memory of his father (the late Mr. W. J. Millner), were officially opened by Mrs. W. J. Millner on Saturday afternoon. A memorial avenue of Lombardy poplar trees, from the gates to the war memorial, was dedicated by the president of the Methodist Conference, the Rev. E. Coplln Thomas. The avenue is a further memorial to old Newingtonians who fell in the Great War. Over 600 of them went overseas, and 109 did not return. Immediately after the war a handsome stone memorial, designed by G. Hardie Wilson, was erected to those who fell. There are 75 poplars in the avenue, and at the dedication ceremony on Saturday a tablet of remembrance, inscribed with the name, was placed at the foot of each tree by the next of-kin. A further memorial avenue of 34 Jacaranda trees will be formed shortly. The Rev. Dr. C. J. Prescott, former headmaster of Newington College, Mr. J. Stewart Spence, president of the Old Newingtonians' Union, and Colonel T. J. Millner delivered addresses.
Sydney Morning Herald (NSW), 2 March 1936.
|Address:||200 Stanmore Road, Newington College, Stanmore, 2048|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -33.896944|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Monument Type:||Avenue of Honour|
|Actual Event STart Date:||04-August-1914|
|Actual Event End Date:||28-June-1919|
|Actual Monument Dedication Date:||Saturday 29th February, 1936|