Yeronga Memorial Park and Honour AvenuePrint Page
Yeronga Memorial Park commemorates the fallen from Stephens Shire who enlisted during World War One. The memorial avenue lined with trees, memorial gates, and memorial pavilion, created between 1917 and 1921, are key aspects of the park, both historically and in establishing the current layout of the park.
Around 1917, a road was constructed through the park, aligned east to southwest, from Park Road to Ipswich Road. Between 1917 and 1919 a total of 96 weeping figs and flame trees were planted either side of this road, forming Honour Avenue. Each tree was accompanied by a metal shield, which bore the name of a soldier by the Stephens Shire who would not be returning, set on a timber post. The honour avenue is one of the earliest World War One memorial avenues established in Australia. A memorial pavilion and two sets of memorial gates to the park were built in 1921. The gates stand at each end of Honour Avenue.
The third and final tree planting ceremony under the direction of the Stephens Shire Council in Yeronga Park on the 23 August 1919. Councillor F. Stimson who presided said that 581 men had enlisted from the district and 93 had been killed. That afternoon they were planting 21 trees to the memory of those who had fallen. Previously they had planted 72 trees making a total of 93 trees in the honour avenue.
The Brisbane Courier (Qld), 25th August 1919.
|Address:||Park Road, Honour Avenue, Yeronga, 4104|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -27.518205|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Actual Monument Dedication Date:||Saturday 15th September, 1917|
Yeronga Memorial Park