www.monumentaustralia.org.au

Pilton Soldiers Memorial HallPrint Page Print this page

13-April-2017 (Russell Byers)
13-April-2017 (Russell Byers)

Photographs supplied by John Huth / Russell Byers

The hall was erected to commemorate those who served in World War One. Extension to the hall were officially opened on the 1st November 1949.  A plaque was erected at the hall in 1995 to commemorate the 75th anniversary. 

Honour Rolls inside include the names of forty soldiers and one nurse who enlisted in World War One, half of those being either killed or wounded. In World War Two, Pilton won two awards for outstanding fundraising, and the pennants are on display in the hall. The World War Two Honour Roll contains 35 names. 

This was the first memorial hall built in Australia and it was officially opened by the Honourable Littleton Groom, Federal Minister for Works and Railways on the 26th January 1920. The hall was erected in 1919 for a total cost of £600.
The Brisbane Courier (Qld), 29th January 1920.

 

Location

Address:Gatton - Clifton Road, Pilton, 4361
State:QLD
Area:AUS
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -27.866718
Long: 152.047959
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map

Details

Monument Type:Structure
Monument Theme:Conflict
Sub-Theme:WW1
Actual Event STart Date:04-August-1914
Actual Event End Date:28-June-1919

Dedication

Actual Monument Dedication Date:Monday 26th January, 1920
Front Inscription

PILTON SOLDIERS
MEMORIAL HALL
inc

Est 1919


 

Inscription in Proximity

Pilton Soldiers Memorial Hall
Opened
26 January 1920
75th Jubilee Celebrations
28 January 1995

Source: MA,MIV,SKP
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au
Proudly sponsored by UBC Web Design