Ipswich Railway Workshops War MemorialPrint Page
The Railway Workshops War Memorial is a bronze cast digger memorial. This memorial was built in 1919 to honour The Workshops employees who served in World War One. More than 300 men from The Workshops enlisted in the AIF - thirty-one did not return. After the war, the Workshops employees raised £1400 to build the memorial.
As early as 1915, a proposal had been put forward to honour comrades who had gone to the Front. A committee was appointed and regular collections were taken up to fund the memorial. At a meeting held on the 7th February 1917, the committee detailed the progress of the employees efforts. A sum of £650 had been raised and the Commissioner of Railways, Colonel C.Evans C.M.G had given £100 and promised to bear the cost of the foundation for the memorial. The committee still required £150 to complete the project and Mr Robinson who presided at the meeting said ''that 240 men had gone from the workshops to fight for them and he appealed for them to do their bit". A motion was carried that the subscriptions been continued until the required £150 was raised. The memorial was unveiled by the Governor of Queensland on the 27th September 1919 and dedicated by the Archbishop of Brisbane, Dr Donaldson.
The Brisbane Courier, 8th February 1917, 27th September 1919.
|Address:||1A North Street, North Ipswich, 4305|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -27.597397|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Actual Event STart Date:||04-August-1914|
|Actual Event End Date:||28-June-1919|
|Monument Designer:||John Whitehead & Sons, London, sculptor of statue; Vincent Price, architect|
|Monument Manufacturer:||A.L. Petrie (stonemason) Chas. Handford (metal plates)|
|Actual Monument Dedication Date:||Saturday 27th September, 1919|
TO THE GLORY OF GOD
AND IN HONOUR OF THE OFFICERS, NON-COMMISSIONED OFFICERS AND MEN
WHO LEFTS THESE WORKS TO FIGHT FOR
KING AND EMPIRE
IPSWICH COMMITTEE MEMORIAL
WORKSHOPS (NAMES) FUND