Mackay CenotaphPrint Page Print this page


Photographs supplied by Donald Gibbs / John Huth

The Mackay Cenotaph commemorates the 159 men from Mackay and district who died in service or were killed in action in World War One.

It was originally located on the banks of the Pioneer River opposite the Customs House however due to river floods and erosion of the river bank the memorial was relocated to the Gordon Street end of Jubilee Park in 1945.  The cenotaph was once again relocated to its present location in March 1973 to make way for the construction of the present Mackay City Council Civic Centre.

The foundation stone of the Mackay Cenotaph which was to be erected on the riverbank at a cost of £2000 was unveiled by the Mayor, Alderman Milton on the 18th November 1928 in the presence of a large gathering. Reverend Bardon of St Paul’s Presbyterian Church addressed the assembly and referred to great sacrifices made by those in whose honour the memorial was erected.  In the years to come when children asked their parents “what mean ye by this stone” the story of the men who perished would be handed down from generation to generation. Townsville Daily Bulletin (Qld) 19th November 1928


Address:Alfred Street, Jubilee Park, Mackay, 4740
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -21.144662
Long: 149.180937
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map


Monument Type:Monument
Monument Theme:Conflict
Actual Event STart Date:04-August-1914
Actual Event End Date:28-June-1919
Monument Designer:A. S. Harris (Mackay, QLD)


Actual Monument Dedication Date:Wednesday 24th April, 1929
Front Inscription
This memorial is dedicated ot the men of Mackay and District who gave their lives in the Great War
Left Side Inscription

For God - King and country

[ Names ]

Back Inscription

Rex - Gloria - Patriae

Greater love hath no man

[ Names ]

1914 - 1919

Right Side Inscription
[ Names ]
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au
Proudly sponsored by UBC Web Design