Holy Trinity Warriors ChapelPrint Page
Holy Trinity Warriors Chapel honours the fallen of World War One.
In 1923 the estimate for the new church was £10,800 but by time of construction in 1926 the cost had risen to £14,315. This resulted in modifications to the original plan which had included an imposing bell tower, 82 feet high and 17 feet square at the base. The plan also incorporated an arcade which would have been on the east side of the land. The design of the third church is believed to be similar to that of the Mission Church of the Order of Saint John which was seen by Canon Halse in Bombay. It suggests the style of a Spanish church with the addition of open verandahs to allow for the harsh northern climate. The incumbent Rector, Canon Fortesque Leo Ash, arranged for a Warriors' Chapel as an integral part of the building in memory of those who had died in the 1914-18 war. The architect was Lange L Powell and the builders were A Stonage and Sons. The church, together with a rectory and a parish hall occupies a city block. The church was consecrated by Bishop Feetham of Townsville on the 12th December 1926.
|Address:||39 Gordon Street, Mackay, 4740|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -21.143712|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Actual Monument Dedication Date:||Sunday 12th December, 1926|