ANZAC Memorial GrovePrint Page
A grove of trees commemorates those who died in service or were killed in action in World War One. The grove is propagated from the seeds of the slash pines in ANZAC Memorial Avenue.
ANZAC Memorial Avenue, as it was known, extends 18 kilometres from Gympie Road at Petrie to the roundabout at Redcliffe Parade. It was the first bitumen road connecting Brisbane to Redcliffe, even then a popular seaside resort. It was Queensland’s largest planting of an avenue, an ambitious project achieved through public subscription. An appeal was launched in 1922. The first of the 1760 trees was planted at Petrie on February 28, 1925.
On July 7 1926, four years after the appeal was launched, RACQ’s Thomas James Rothwell (key protagonist and RACQ president from 1921-23) and president of the day, a T.E. Carter, led a motorcade of guests from Brisbane for the official opening of the avenue.
Over time, ANZAC Avenue has been widened to accommodate increased car usage. During the 1980s and 1990s, sections of the avenue were duplicated to form a dual carriageway. Some trees were removed during this time. In Pine Rivers Shire, the council and the Department of Transport adopted a design to preserve the Avenue during roadworks; however a number of trees were removed. In March 1993, ANZAC Avenue was officially reopened by Queensland RSL President S.W. Kay and Pine Rivers Shire Chairman R. Akers. Following the removal of a number of trees in 2006 for a transit lane, Queensland Transport and the Redcliffe RSL planted a memorial grove in Henry Pieper Park on the avenue at Kippa-Ring, with trees propagated from the slash pines.
|Address:||ANZAC Avenue & Chelsea Street, Henry Peiper Park, Kippa-Ring, 4021|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -27.219102|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Actual Monument Dedication Date:||Tuesday 7th November, 2006|
ANZAC Memorial Grove
This memorial grove has been established from seeds collected from the Slash Pines (Pinus Elllotti) planted along ANZAC Avenue to commemorate those fallen service Men and Women from World War One.
These trees will remain as a long term reminder to present and future generations of the sacrifice made by many people.
The Queensland Government in conjunction with the Redcliffe RSL and Redcliffe City Council opened the memorial grove in November 2006 as part of the Rothwell to Kippa-Ring bus priority project