Ipswich Soldiers` Memorial HallPrint Page
Ipswich Soldiers` Memorial Hall was erected in memory of those who died in service or were killed in action during World War One.
The Returned Soldiers and Sailors Imperial League of Australia was formed in 1916 and a branch opened in Ipswich in September 1917. As the end of the war approached in 1918, the Ipswich branch requested land suitable for a building which could be a recreation hall and war memorial.
The Memorial Hall was funded by Ipswich City Council and public fund-raising. When originally built, it contained the School of Arts library, recreation facilities for returned soldiers, offices for the RSSAILA and associated organisations and a memorial 'crypt' or honour chamber.
The foundation stone for the hall which was erected on the site of the old pump yard in Central Gardens in Nicholas Street was laid by General Sir W.R. Birdwood K.C., C.M.G., on the 4th May 1920. The official opening ceremony was performed by the Governor of Queensland, Sir Matthew Nathan on the 26th November 1921.
Queensland Times, Ipswich 20th October & 28th November 1921.
|Address:||63 Nicholas Street, Ipswich, 4305|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -27.615614|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Actual Event STart Date:||04-August-1914|
|Actual Event End Date:||28-June-1919|
|Monument Designer:||George Brockwell Gill|
|Monument Manufacturer:||F. J. Lye|
|Actual Monument Dedication Date:||Saturday 26th November, 1921|
This Building was erected by the Citizens of Ipswich
In Honour of the Men who gave their lives for King
And Country in the Great War 1914 - 1918.
Their Name Liveth For Evermore
SOLDIERS MEMORIAL HALL
This Stone was laid by
GENERAL SIR W.R BIRDWOOD Bt.G.C.M.G.
May 4. 1920