Blackbutt War MemorialPrint Page
Blackbutt was erected in memory of those who served in World War One.
Carved by Charles Lowther who served in Palestine in the 11th Australian Light Horse, the digger is depicted in a relaxed pose, with his hand resting on a tree stump. Forest Hill, Murgon and Tiaro monuments are also carved by Lowther in the same style. The Blackbutt digger has hair visible, no chin strap for his slouch hat, and wears an ammunition belt. His rifle points skywards and is resting beside his right boot. Four pillars support the base on which the digger stands. Many names are included on the marble panels around the sides. The Memorial was unveiled on April 24th 1920 by the Chairman of the Nanango Shire Council J.A.Lee.
|Address:||Coulson & Hart Streets, Blackbutt, 4306|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -26.885232|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Monument Designer:||Charles Lowther|
|Actual Monument Dedication Date:||Saturday 24th April, 1920|
THEIR NAME LIVETH FOR EVERMORE / (names)
THIS STONE WAS UNVEILED BY J. A. LEE ESQ (CHAIRMAN SHIRE COUNCIL.)
24. APRIL. 1920