Barcaldine War MemorialPrint Page
The Barcaldine War Memorial was erected in memory of the soldiers and nurses who enlisted from the district in World War One. The memorial is a white marble clock tower which was decided upon by public ballot held in 1922 after the Barcaldine Shire Council initiated the proposal for a memorial.
The War Memorial was unveiled by the Governor of Queensland, Sir Matthew Nathan on the 21st May 1924. A large crowd had gathered at the memorial including schoolchildren from the three schools, and on arrival of His Excellency the National Anthem was sung. The Chairman of the Shire, Mr Lyons gave a brief history of the memorial which had been erected by the ladies of Barcaldine and District in memory of those who had served in the Great War. The ladies of the district had taken over the contributions for the memorial and the amount required was raised in a few months. The Governor unveiled the memorial and read aloud the names of all those who had fallen.
The Longreach Leader, 30th May 1924.
|Address:||Ash & Beech Streets, Barcaldine, 4725|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -23.553647|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Actual Event STart Date:||04-August-1914|
|Actual Event End Date:||28-June-1919|
|Monument Manufacturer:||A. L. Petrie & Sons (Toowong, QLD)|
|Actual Monument Dedication Date:||Wednesday 21st May, 1924|
ERECTED IN HONOUR AND APPRECIATION OF THOSE WHO ENLISTED FROM BARCALDINE AND DISTRICT, AND WHO PARTICIPATED IN THE GREAT WAR 1914 - 1919.
IN MEMORIAM (Names)
ERECTED BY THE RESIDENTS OF BARCALDINE AND DISTRICT
UNVEILED BY HIS EXCELLENCY THE RIGHT HONOURABLE SIR MATTHEW NATHAN G.C.M.G. GOVERNOR OF QUEENSLAND. 21ST MAY 1924.