Atherton District Memorial Hospital Print Page
Atherton District Memorial Hospital was erected in memory of the men of the Tablelands who died in service or were killed in action during World War One. Excess patriotic funds raised from various sources enabled the expansion of the Atherton Hospital into a larger war memorial hospital.
During the coming month of February 1922 , the Atherton Hospital is making a strenuous campaign to raise the sum of £800. This amount added to the generous gift of £1200 from the Tablelands Soldiers Memorial Funds will enable them to erect permanent brick or concrete wards costing £6000 of which £4000 will be added by means of Government subsidy. These additional wards besides being a splendid means of commemorating the Tablelands fallen men will relieve the present overcrowding at the hospital. After a further meeting in March 1922, on a discussion on the plan submitted, a motion was moved that the memorial wards comprise a separate and distinct building with one guttering between the verandahs of the old and the new buildings.
Cairns Post, 3rd February, 13th March 1922
|Address:||Louise & Jack Streets, Atherton Hospital , Atherton, 4883|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -17.266296|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Monument Designer:||V.M. Brown (architect)|
|Actual Monument Dedication Date:||Sunday 16th November, 1924|
Atherton District Memorial Hospital
Atherton Tableland War Memorial 1914 - 1918
This stone was laid by the Hon. W. N. Gillies M.L.A. Minister for Agriculture 16th November 1924.
[ Names ]