www.monumentaustralia.org.au

Glamorgan Community Centre & East Coast Heritage MuseumPrint Page Print this page

Memorial Institute
Memorial Institute

Photographs supplied by Kent Watson / Arthur Garland/ Estate of Connie Marson

The Glamorgan Community Centre and War Memorial Museum commemorates those who served in World War One. Originally built as a school in 1860 the building was purchased by the community in 1922 as War Memorial Institute.

There was a representative gathering in the Council-chambers, Swansea, on Friday evening, of those interested in the Glamorgan Soldiers' War Memorial. The Warden (Mr. P. M. Gill) was voted to the chair and explained that the business was to elect trustees, to whom the old School building should be transferred from the Government. After discussion and taking of a ballot Messrs. E. B. Shaw, W Arnol and Dr. G. M. Parker were elected. A committee was then formed, which is to obtain and place before a public meeting estimates of repairs, and also to decide upon the best use to which the building may be put for the benefit of the district.  During the meeting it was announced that the fund was about £400 and would probably reach £450.
The Mercury (Hobart), 10th April 1923.

Location

Address:Noyes Street & Tasman Highway, Swansea, 7190
State:TAS
Area:AUS
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -42.123824
Long: 148.075592
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map

Details

Monument Type:Structure
Monument Theme:Conflict
Sub-Theme:WW1

Dedication

Approx. Monument Dedication Date:1922
Front Inscription

This Institute is dedicated to the memory of all those fromthe Glamorgan Municipality who served in the Great War

1914 - 1918

Source: MA,SKP
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au
Proudly sponsored by UBC Web Design