St Martins Roll of HonourPrint Page Print this page

Photographs supplied by Arthur Garland

St Martins Roll of Honour commemorates those who served in World War One.

A large congregation assembled at St. Martin's Church, including a number of residents from South Arm, at 11 a.m. on Sunday, to witness the unveiling of the honour roll by the Bishop of Tasmania. The honour roll contains names of the 23 men who answered the Empire's call. The Bishop said that the roll of honour was to perpetuate the memory of Sandford and South Arm's soldiers who volunteered to serve their King and country in the Great War. Out of the 23 men who enlisted it was sad to think that nine had paid the supreme sacrifice, nearly 50 per cent. The honour roll was presented to the church by Mrs. Todd, of Bellerive, who very artistically did the carving, and her generous donation is very much appreciated by the parishioners of the district.
The Mercury (Hobart), 8th March 1927.  


Address:18 School Road, St Martin`s Anglican Church, Sandford, 7020
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -42.945331
Long: 147.498405
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map


Monument Type:Honour Roll
Monument Theme:Conflict
Actual Event STart Date:04-August-1914
Actual Event End Date:28-June-1919
Monument Designer:Mrs Todd


Actual Monument Dedication Date:Sunday 6th March, 1927
Front Inscription

Roll of Honour


[ Names ]

Note : the “Tasmanian War Memorials Data Base” , compiled by Fred Thornett which is located at the State Library of Tasmania, contains a comprehensive listing of the names on this monument.

Source: MA,SKP,TWM
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au
Proudly sponsored by UBC Web Design