St Martin`s Memorial ChancelPrint Page Print this page


Photographs supplied by Arthur Garland

The Chancel was erected to commemorate those who served in World War One.

The consummation of the plans and efforts of many years on the part of the congregation of St.Martin's Church, Queenstown, was reached on Sunday last, when the ceremony of the dedication of the war memorial chancel took place. The services of dedication, preceding the choral celebration of the Holy Eucharist in the morning were carried out by the Rural Dean, Rev.W. G. Thomas, on commission from the Bishop of Tasmania (Dr. R Snowdon Hay), who was unable to be present in person; but sent a message to the rector and congregation. The chancel itself is well and solidly built, and finished inside with panelled plaster walls and a high Tasmanian oak dado. The two vestries are lined throughout with Tasmanian oak.

The building reflects great credit on the builder, Mr. A. Chamley. The furnishings are all of the best, the woodwork being of Tasmanian oak to match the finish of the building. The heavy communion rails are moulded on brass standards. The altar is beautifully carved, and has three double panels in front, with hand-worked tracery. The credence table, prayer desk and lectern are all made to match the design of the altar. The floor is partly covered with heavy axminster carpet, the portion not covered being polished. A notable feature of the furnishings is two large flags, the Union Jack and the Australian flag, one each of the entrance to the chancel. There is also a brass memorial tablet, suitably inscribed.
Examiner (Launceston), 8th October 1926.



Address:Driffield & Russell Streets, St Martin`s Anglican Church, Queenstown, 7467
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -42.081018
Long: 145.552468
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map


Monument Type:Structure
Monument Theme:Conflict
Actual Event STart Date:04-August-1914
Actual Event End Date:28-June-1919
Monument Manufacturer:Mr Chamley


Actual Monument Dedication Date:Sunday 3rd October, 1926
Front Inscription

Erected October 3rd 1926

To the glory of God.

This chancel dedicated as a tribute of remembrance to those who fell and in grateful recognition of all those who served.

The Great War 1914 - 1919.

Their name liveth for evermore

Source: MA,SKP,TWM
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au
Proudly sponsored by UBC Web Design