Colebrook Roll of HonourPrint Page
The Colebrook Roll of Honour is a dark wooden honour roll which lists 181 names of those from the municipality who served in World War One.
Saturday, the 20th December, was an important day for Colebrook, being the occasion of a visit to the township by the Governor (Sir Francis Newdegate) who unveiled in the local Town hall a magnificent blackwood honour board, containing the names of tho 180 men of the Richmond Municipality (of which Colebrook forms a part) who served in the great war. The importance of the occasion was fully realised by the people of the district, who turned out in full force. At about midday, residents of the neighbouring townships , Tunbridge, Campania, and Richmond began to arrive on horseback, on bicycles, in carts, and in motor-cars, and in a short time, one of the largest crowds seen at Colebrook for many a day had assembled. The board, which had been designed by Mr. Risby, was as beautiful a piece of work as it was possible to produce, and one worthy of a great occasion.
The Mercury (Hobart), 22nd December 1919.
|Address:||Richmond Road & Station Street, Colebrook Memorial Hall , Colebrook, 7027|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -42.533141|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Monument Type:||Honour Roll|
|Actual Event STart Date:||04-August-1914|
|Actual Event End Date:||28-June-1919|
|Monument Designer:||Mr Risby|
|Actual Monument Dedication Date:||Saturday 20th December, 1919|
King and Country
In honour of the brave men from the municipality of Richmond who answered their country`s call.
Great European War 1914 - 1918
[ Names ]
Note : the “Tasmanian War Memorials Data Base” , compiled by Fred Thornett which is located at the State Library of Tasmania, contains a comprehensive listing of the names on this monument.