www.monumentaustralia.org.au

North Esk Memorial HallPrint Page Print this page

17-February-2015
17-February-2015

The hall was erected to commemorate those who died in service or were killed in action in World War One. The hall was opened on the 25th February 1928. New supper rooms were added to the hall in 1939. 

An appreciable public spiritedness marks the activities of the residents of the Blessington district in their endeavour to effect the re-erection of a new hall to be known as the North Esk Memorial Hall, the ground for which has been donated by the Messrs. Boyes family to commemorate those men of the district who fell in the Great War. Matters have progressed to the stage that preparations for building are being made, and Mr. O. N. Cameron, of Messrs. Haines and Cameron, sawmill proprietors, of Burn's Creek, has voluntarily offered the use of the mill plant, and the employees their services (in addition to other local assistance) to cut the timber required for the proposed hall.
Examiner (Launceston) 8th October 1926.

The hon secretary of the North Esk Memorial Hall, Blessington, wrote to the monthly meeting of the St. Leonards Council yesterday, inviting Mr. W. R. Bennett (as Warden of the Council and trustee of the Memorial Hall), to attend the official opening of the hall about 3.30 o'clock on February 25. His Excellency the Governor (Sir James O'Grady) would be present to perform the ceremony. The Premier (Mr. J. A. Lyons), would also be present if his duties permitted. Other members of the council were also invited to attend. The council accepted the invitation with thanks, and it was decided that as many councillors as possible should be present. 
Examiner (Launceston, Tas.), 3 February 1928.

Location

Address:3132 Blessington Road, Blessington, 7212
State:TAS
Area:AUS
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -41.482125
Long: 147.504726
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map

Details

Monument Type:Structure
Monument Theme:Conflict
Sub-Theme:WW1
Actual Event STart Date:04-August-1914
Actual Event End Date:28-June-1919

Dedication

Actual Monument Dedication Date:Saturday 25th February, 1928
Front Inscription

North Esk Memorial Hall

Source: SKP, MA
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au
Proudly sponsored by UBC Web Design