Corrigin RSL ANZAC Memorial HallPrint Page
The former Corrigin RSL ANZAC Memorial Hall was erected in memory of those who served in World War One.
The hall was built for a cost of £800, with the majority of those funds coming from the community of Corrigin. The official opening was conducted by the Roads Board Chairman, Coulson Murphy. In 1933, the Catholic Church purchased the property for the £270 that was still owing on the hall at the time. In the 1950s, the Catholic Church sold the building to Mr Kevill from Quairading. Since then the hall has been used for a number of different businesses; Verna Turnbull, George Holdaway, Swithenbanks, Buck and Pruden, the Craft Shop, and the Red Cross Shop operated from the venue until 1994.
Anzac Day was commemorated in Corrigin by a memorial service which was preceded by a parade of troops and a march of school children. Corrigin like all other centres gave liberally of her manhood for the protection of the Empire and also lost many of her representatives. In the evening a large crowd assembled at a social gathering and an appeal for funds to build a local memorial hall was launched.
Western Mail (Perth), 12th May 1921.
|Address:||Walton & Jose Streets, Corrigin, 6375|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -32.329722|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Monument Designer:||Mr Woods (architect)|
|Monument Manufacturer:||T. Hewitt (builder)|