Carlisle Memorial HallPrint Page
Carlisle Memorial Hall was originally erected in memory of those who served in World War One. In 1968 the Perth City Council took over the hall but it had fallen into such disrepair it was decided to demolish the hall and replace it was a more substantial building. The Carlisle Memorial Hall was built by Perth City Council with the co-operation of the previous hall committee. Their names are engraved on a wooden plaque in the present hall foyer. The Carlisle Memorial Hall is still owned by the Town of Victoria Park but the Harold Hawthorne Centre leases the hall from them. The original plaque and honour roll are in the present hall.
At the close of the war the residents of Victoria Park East, formerly known as Bickford, and since renamed Carlisle, decided to erect a hall in commemoration of the men who enlisted from the district, and on Saturday last the opening ceremony was performed by his Excellency the Governor, in the presence of a large assemblage, which included the Acting Premier (Mr. W. J. George), the Mayor of Perth, Major General Hobbs, Colonel Tilney, Colonel Pope (Commissioner of Railways), Mr. R. T. Robinson, M.L.A. and many returned soldiers. After a selection by the Clontarf Orphanage Band, Chaplain-Major Vine, rector of Queen's Park, unveiled a memorial tablet and Mr. E. E. Bardwell, on behalf of the committee and all who had assisted to bring the work to a successful consummation, asked the Governor to formally declare the hall open.
The West Australian (Perth ), 9th June 1920
|Address:||2 Memorial Avenue, Carlisle, 6101|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -31.98104|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Actual Monument Dedication Date:||Saturday 5th June, 1920|
The Bickford Soldiers' Memorial Hall was built by voluntary labour in honour of all who enlisted from this district in the Great War 1914-1918.
His Excellency the Governor
Sir Francis Newdegate KCMG