www.monumentaustralia.org.au

Canning District RSL War MemorialPrint Page Print this page

26-February-2016 (Bryan Hardy)
26-February-2016 (Bryan Hardy)

Photographs supplied by Father Ted Doncaster / Bryan Hardy

The War Memorial commemorates those from the district who served in World War One. 

The monument has a four-sided concrete base that narrows as it rises with a flagpole emanating from the centre. Marble slabs affixed to the sides display the names of those from Victoria Park who served in World War One. 

The marble slabs incorporated into the memorial were originally part of a soldier statue war memorial which was unveiled in Victoria Park on the 4th August 1917. By the 1950s the statue had deteriorated so badly the decision was made to replace it with a simple stone cross. In 1957 a cross of Sydney sandstone was fixed in place of the old statue. The replacement was funded by the Perth City Council. The name tablets were removed and sent to the Victoria Park Sub-Branch of the RSL and were then forwarded to the Canning District RSL. 
 

Location

Address:George Way & Wharf Street, Canning District RSL , Cannington, 6107
State:WA
Area:AUS
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -32.011608
Long: 115.937922
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map

Details

Monument Type:Monument
Monument Theme:Conflict
Sub-Theme:WW1
Actual Event STart Date:04-August-1914
Actual Event End Date:28-June-1919

Dedication

Front Inscription

THIS MEMORIAL
Was Erected By The Citizens Of Victoria Park
As A Tribute To The Men Who Rendered Voluntary
Service To The Empire In The Great War 
Aug. 4. 1917

[ Names ]

Left Side Inscription
[ Names ]
Back Inscription
[ Names ]
Right Side Inscription
[ Names ]
Source: MA,WMR
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au
Proudly sponsored by UBC Web Design