Bruce Rock Memorial HousePrint Page
Memorial House is the original Bruce Rock Memorial Hospital building which was erected in memory of those who fought in World War One.
The idea of a World War One memorial in the form of a hospital was put forward by Bruce Rock Roads Board. The Board donated £65 and the Government offered £1 for every £1 raised by the community. There was a desire to be self-reliant and not dependent on Government handouts (or under Government control). Funds were raised by dances, socials, fancy dress balls, flower selling and a farm to farm canvas. An amount of £1,406 was raised and architect William Thorne donated his £150 fee. The State Government donated £1,500 for the project. The Bruce Rock War Memorial Hospital completed in 1922. In 1978, the place was converted to an aged care facility known as Memorial House.
|Address:||Dunstal Street, Bruce Rock, 6418|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -31.873876|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Actual Event STart Date:||04-August-1914|
|Actual Event End Date:||28-June-1919|
|Monument Designer:||William Thorne (architect)|
|Monument Manufacturer:||F.T.Deacon (builder)|
|Actual Monument Dedication Date:||Saturday 18th November, 1922|