Wilmington Memorial HallPrint Page
Wilmington Memorial Hall was erected in memory of those who served in World War One. The foundation stone was laid on the 22nd August 1923 and the hall was opened in 1925.
The Wilmington Memorial Hall was opened on June 24. The proceedings began with a procession through the streets, headed by a Port Pirie band, and included several decorated motor cars. The school children were lined up before an improvised platform in front of the hall, the returned soldiers forming a guard honour. The president of the institute committee (Mr. H. W. Gasmier) reviewed the efforts begun about 13 years ago for the building of a new Institute Hall. The project was taken up enthusiastically by the Wilmington Women's Club, under the leadership of Mrs. William Robertson, of "Gunyah" station, and resulted in £900 being collected in about two years. Then the war intervened and the matter went into recess for over four years. The Wilmington Women's Club was transformed into a branch of the Red Cross Society.
After the declaration of peace, efforts were renewed to collect the necessary funds to start the erection of the hall. Material and labour however had increased, and there was an obligation of, in some adequate form, perpetuating the memory of 87 soldiers and nurses who volunteered and went to the front from the district. It was ultimately decided that the Soldiers memorial be embodied in the new building to be called the Wilmington Memorial Hall.
The soldier's statue was unveiled by Lieutenant F. S. Slee, who expressed appreciation at being asked to take part in honoring his comrades in arms. He paid eloquent tribute to the memory of those who had made the supreme sacrifice. A gold medal was presented to Lieutenant Slee in commemoration. An inscribed key with which to open the new hall was presented to Mr. E. P. Dignan, who gave many interesting reminiscences of the history of the town since he became a resident in 1876.
Chronicle (Adelaide), 4 July 1925.
|Address:||Main North Road & Angas Terrace, Wilmington, 5485|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -32.648883|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Actual Event STart Date:||04-August-1914|
|Actual Event End Date:||28-June-1919|
|Actual Monument Dedication Date:||Wednesday 22nd August, 1923|
In memory of those who fought in the Great War 1914 - 1919
This stone was laid by Mrs W. Robertson
22nd August 1923.