Warnertown Institute Memorial PorchPrint Page
The Warnertown Institute Memorial Porch was erected in memory of those from the district who lost their lives in World War One.
A pleasing little ceremony, and yet one that brought back sad memories to many of those present, took place yesterday at Warnertown. The occasion was the opening of an addition to the institute, a memorial porch. The attendance could be gauged by the forty motor cars that were parked in the near vicinity.
The chairman, Mr. G. Kain, delivered the opening speech, and extended the sincerest sympathy to those in the audience who had lost someone near and dear to them in the Great War. "This memorial porch has been erected to perpetuate their glorious memory," he concluded. The chairman then hand the key to Mr. J. H. Clothier, the father of three sons who had enlisted, and been spared to return. Mr. Clothier, before opening the porch, congratulated the contractor, Mr. Shephard, on the fine manner in which the work had been carried out.
The porch contained two fine stained glass windows, upon which were inscribed the names of those Warnertown men who had fought and died for their country. The ceremony of the unveiling of these windows was performed by Mrs. A. Davies who congratulated the committee on their fine effort.
Recorder (Port Pirie SA), 29 August 1925.
Note : - The Institute is now a private residence.
|Address:||A1 Highway, Warnertown, 5540|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -33.235264|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Actual Event STart Date:||04-August-1914|
|Actual Event End Date:||28-June-1919|
|Monument Manufacturer:||Mr Shephard contractor)|