www.monumentaustralia.org.au

Soldiers Memorial HallPrint Page Print this page

23-September-2013
23-September-2013

Photographs supplied by Bryan Cole

The Soldiers Memorial Hall commemorates those from the district who served in World War One. The hall was opened on the 14th December 1935. 

On Saturday, September 7, the foundation stone of the Upper Sturt Soldiers' Memorial Hall was laid by Mrs. Geo. Wescombe. The chairman of the committee, who was introduced by Mr. A. G. Wylie, presented Mrs. Wescombe with a silver trowel. Mrs. Wescombe was thanked by Mr. J. McGough and Mr. E. J. Rossim. Addresses were given by Messrs. Hogben and Dunks, MP.'s, P. G. Wescombe (chairman of the District Council of Stirling), Panno (chairman Mitcham District Council), J. McGough (Institute committee), R. Tilly and H. W. Rogers (Stirling branch Returned Soldiers) and Mr. James (Blackwood branch). A vote of thanks to the speakers was proposed by Mr. E. J. Vickery and supported by Mr. P. G. Wescombe. Afternoon tea followed in the school, at which more than 100 persons were cattred for by the women. In the evening a concert was held in the church, with Mr. C. G. Wylie in the chair. The committee thanked the women for their help in the afternoon. Items were given by the children. Adults assisting were Mr. A James, Mr. L. H. Clough, Mrs. Clough, Miss Fielding, Miss D. Wylie and Mrs. Nottage. The proceeds were £25. 
Advertiser (Adelaide), 10 September 1935.

Erected at a cost of £700, the Upper Sturt Soldiers' Memorial Hall was opened on Saturday in the presence of a large crowd. It was stated that £500 towards the expenses was in hand before Saturday; proceeds from the opening function amounted to £50. Four and a half years' work by the committee had been rewarded, said Mr. E. J. Rossini, a member of the 48th Battalion, when declaring the hall open. Among those present were Messrs. Hogben and Dunks, M.Ps., W. Nicholls, chairman of the Stirling District Council, and W. S. Rogers, secretary of the Stirling branch of the R.S.S.I.L.A.
News (Adelaide), 16 December 1935
.

Location

Address:173 Upper Sturt Road, Upper Sturt, 5156
State:SA
Area:AUS
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -35.024109
Long: 138.6764
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map

Details

Monument Type:Structure
Monument Theme:Conflict
Sub-Theme:WW1
Actual Event STart Date:04-August-1914
Actual Event End Date:28-June-1919

Dedication

Actual Monument Dedication Date:Saturday 7th September, 1935
Front Inscription

1935

Soldiers Memorial Hall

This stone was laid by Mrs Geo. Wescombe
Sept, 7th 1935

Source: MA,RVWM
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au
Proudly sponsored by UBC Web Design