Unley Memorial ArchPrint Page
The Unley Memorial Arch commemorates those from the district who died in service or were killed in action in World War One.
The memorial arch which has been erected at the main entrance to the Unley Soldiers' Memorial Garden of Honour will be unveiled on Sunday afternoon by His Excellency the Governor (Sir Tom Bridges). The erection of the arch is the outcome of the whole-hearted efforts of the Unley Citizens'. Ladies' Committee, under the leadership of Mrs. A. E. Morris, the Mayoress, who have raised nearly the whole of the cost of the monument, which they desire shall be called the "Soldiers' Memorial Arch" or the "Gateway of Remembrance."
The structure, which will cost about £758, is the design of Mr. T. H. Smeaton, and Mr. Peter Laycock has been responsible for building the edifice. The two base stones of the pilasters are of granite, and the rest of the arch and the entablature are in freestone, except the cornice, which is of reinforced concrete. The panels on the pillars are of red granite, and on these are inscribed the names of 362 soldiers who enlisted, from the City of Unley, and who made the supreme sacrifice. The foundation tablets were unveiled on August 3, and bear the names of the Mayor and Mayoress (Mr. and Mrs. A. E. Morris).
The Register (Adelaide), 28 November 1924.
|Address:||Unley Road & Thomas Street, Memorial Gardens, Unley, 5061|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -34.951691|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Monument Designer:||Mr. T.H. Smeaton (designer)|
|Monument Manufacturer:||Mr Peter Laycock|
|Actual Monument Dedication Date:||Sunday 3rd August, 1924|
In their sacrifice was our shelter
[ Names ]
This panel was unveiled by the Mayoress of Unley Mrs. A.E. Morris on Sunday August 3rd 1924.
[ Names ]
This panel was unveiled by His Worship the Mayor of Unley A.E. Morris., Esq. on Sunday August 3rd 1924.