Two Wells War MemorialPrint Page
A monument commemorates the soldiers from the district who died in service or were killed in action in World War One.
Sunday was a special day at Two Wells, when the residents gathered in the Memorial Park to witness the unveiling of the Memorial to fallen soldiers of the Port Gawler district. The attendance was very large. The memorial is placed in the centre of the Park which fronts the show grounds, and is part of a design prepared for the Committee by Mr. Reade, the State's Town Planner. The stone is Murray Bridge red freestone, and the monument stands 17 feet 6 inches high from the ground. It was prepared and erected by the South Australian Monumental Company and is a splendid piece of work. Rising from a square base, there is the prepared plate showing the names of the district men sacrificed in the war. Port Gawler holding dear the memory of ten men.
Mrs. Weatherspoon, sen., drew the cord that released the Union Jack drapings from around the monument. and the audience stood whilst the Last Post and Reveille were sounded by Trumpeter Dawes, of Gawler. Mrs. Weatherspoon gave four sons to the Empire, two making the great sacrifice. Considerably over a hundred children marched past the memorial, laying their floral tributes on the base of the monument. The schools represented were Two Wells, Korunye, Red Banks, Buckland, Lower Light and Lewiston.
Bunyip (Gawler, SA), 11 November 1921.
|Address:||Old Port Wakefield Road, Two Wells, 5501|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -34.595165|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Actual Event STart Date:||04-August-1914|
|Actual Event End Date:||28-June-1919|
|Monument Designer:||Mr Reade|
|Monument Manufacturer:||South Australian Monumental Company|
|Actual Monument Dedication Date:||Thursday 6th October, 1921|
Erected in memory of fallen soldiers from District of Port Gawler 1914 1918
[ Names ]