South Australian Portland Cement Company War MemorialPrint Page
The War Memorial commemorates the employees of the South Australia Portland Cement Company who served in World War One.
Monument characteristics :
A rendered cement column on a two-stepped brick base with three rifles cast in bronze.
A handsome memorial to the employees of the South Australian Portland Cement Company who have enlisted was unveiled at the Brighton works on Sunday afternoon. The company desired that there should be some permanent record of the patriotism of the men, and it was decided to place rolls of honour at the base of an Ionic column. The column is of reinforced concrete, and on the capital stand three rifles, cast in bronze. The names of 27 employees who have joined the colours appears in gold on grey granite tablets. The memorial, which is 30 feet in height, is at the junction of the Brighton and Hallett's Cove roads.
There was a large attendance of shareholders, local residents, and visitors at the unveiling. Mr. E. H. Bakewell (managing director), in asking Mr. Charles H. Angas (chairman of directors) to perform the ceremony, referred in terms of praise to the men who had volunteered for active service, especially mentioning Lieutenants F. H. Lang and F. T. Measday and Privates D.Murphy and H. Pottinger, who were killed in France, and Private H. C. Aslett, who has been reported as wounded and missing. The directors, he said, thought it fitting that some lasting record of the employes' patriotism should be erected. The memorial was designed by Mr. F. Nicholls(secretary of the company). Mr. Angas spoke feelingly of the directors' appreciation of those who were so bravely representing the company at the front. They condoled with the relations of those who had made the supreme sacrifice. It was an honour to unveil the column. Other speakers were Mr. Simpson Newland (chairman of the first cement company at Brighton, formed about 25 years ago), the Mayor of Brighton (Mr. J. H. Grundy),and Councillor R. Thistleton, of the Marion District Council. Mr. J. Duffus replied on behalf of the workmen and the relatives of the men on active service.
Glenelg Guardian (SA), 10 May 1917.
|Address:||Ocean Boulevard & Scholefield Road, Seacliff, 5049|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -35.038053|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Actual Event STart Date:||04-August-1914|
|Actual Event End Date:||28-June-1919|
|Monument Designer:||Garlick & Jackman (architects)|
|Actual Monument Dedication Date:||Sunday 6th May, 1917|
Erected by the South Australian Portland Cement Company Limited.
In honor of the brave men from these works who voluntarily enlisted for active service for King and Country during the Great War 1914 - 19
Lest we forget.
[ Names ]
[ Names ]
[ Names ]