www.monumentaustralia.org.au

Soldiers` Memorial HospitalPrint Page Print this page

02-December-2014
02-December-2014

Photographs supplied by Chris McLaughlin

The hospital was erected to commemorate those from the district who died in service or were killed in action during World War One.

The foundation stone was laid in 1921 and the hospital was officially opened on the 24th June 1922.  The gates were donated by the Ladies Committee in 1924 and officially opened on the 26th February 1925. The gate pillars contain a marble plaque listing the names of the fallen. 

The ceremony of laying the foundation stone of the Pinnaroo Memorial Hospital was carried out on Saturday afternoon.  The gathering was a huge success. Ideal sunny weather prevailed and there was a large and representative attendance. The stone was laid by Dr. B. H. Morris  (Inspector-General of Hospitals), on behalf of the Hon. J G. Bice, who was called away suddenly to Melbourne on urgent Wheat Board affairs.
The Advertiser (Adelaide), 14 December 1921.

The Pinnaroo Soldiers' Memorial Hospital Ladies’ Committee have made complete preparation for an eventful day on Thursday, 26th February, when the official ceremony of opening the new and imposing Hospital gates will be performed. Mr. P. J. Edwards, Chairman of the Hospital Board, will perform the ceremony at 3.30 p.m. Numerous attractions in the vicinity will cater for the enjoyment of everyone. Competitions, side shows, cool drinks, afternoon tea, hoop-la, and other stalls are provided for. Prizes are to be awarded for the best decorated perambulator and push cart.  It is expected a great deal of interest will be centred in this innovation. In the evening a social and dance will be held in the Pinnaroo Institute Hall. Popular prices are being charged, and a splendid supper will be provided.
Pinnaroo and Border Times (SA), 13 February 1925.

Location

Address:Bundey Terrace, Pinnaroo, 5304
State:SA
Area:AUS
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -35.25779
Long: 140.902804
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map

Details

Monument Type:Structure
Monument Theme:Conflict
Sub-Theme:WW1
Monument Designer:Mr McMichael (architect)
Monument Manufacturer:Mr T W Gilbert

Dedication

Actual Monument Dedication Date:Saturday 10th December, 1921
Left Side Inscription

PINNAROO SOLDIERS` MEMORIAL HOSPITAL 

These Gates Were
Donated By The
Ladies Committee
December 1st 1924

Right Side Inscription

Our Fallen Heroes

[ Names ]

Source: MA,SKP
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au
Proudly sponsored by UBC Web Design