Christ Church War Memorial Print Page
The Christ Church War Memorial takes the form of a chancel screen. A brass plaque is set into the center of the chancel floor and contains the names of the men who were connected with Christ Church who fell in World War One.
The Christ Church, North Adelaide War Memorial, was dedicated by the Bishop on the 21st March 1920. The memorial takes the form of a low chancel screen, built up of pressed concrete blocks, terminating on each side of the central steps in an ambon, or pulpit . This screen is capped with flesh-colored Angaston marble. and the concrete blocks are tinted to correspond. In place of the old slate, new marble steps are introduced. The raised floor of the chancel is brought forward three feet ; the two ambons occupy the same position in which the pulpit and lectern formerly stood. New choir stalls, giving ample room, replace the former very inconvenient and untidy ones. And yet the arrangement is such as to give a much larger open space in the middle of the chancel, and amuch greater dignity to the east end of the church. In the centre of the chancel floor is to be placed a memorial brass containing the names of the men connected with Christ Church who fell in the war, "in loving memory of those who gave their lives for others greater need." The 78 names are inscribed in the same order as on the honor rolls.
The Advertiser (Adelaide), 20th March 1920.
Note : The Memorial Brass Plaque is now located on the wall.
|Address:||62 - 72 Jeffcott Street, Christ Church, North Adelaide, 5006|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -34.910433|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Monument Type:||Religious Object|
|Actual Event STart Date:||04-August-1914|
|Actual Event End Date:||28-June-1919|
|Actual Monument Dedication Date:||Sunday 21st March, 1920|
IN LOVING MEMORY OF THOSE WHO GAVE THEIR LIVES FOR OTHERS GREATER NEED. 1914-1919