Minlaton Soldiers`MemorialPrint Page
The Minlaton Soldiers`Memorial was erected by the residents of Minlaton and District to commemorate those who served in World War One.
The Minlaton Soldiers' Memorial was unveiled on Sunday, November 19, amidst a blaze of sunshine. The service was of a religious character. The Minlaton Orchestra led the singing and played a selection. The memorial is erected in the main street, and is very conspicuous. The statue of a soldier in white marble is set on a granite foundation. It is eighteen feet high. The names of the fallen are on the front panel and on the other three sides the names of others who enlisted. There are 111 names, and 30 men made the great sacrifice.
Mrs. M. R. Peterson performed the unveiling ceremony at the invitation of the president of the committee, and when the unveiling was complete the Last Post was sounded. Mrs. Peterson's three sons and a brother were killed at the front, and one returned to the homeland. Many wreaths were placed at the foot of the monument. Brigadier-General S. Price Weir delivered an address. He congratulated the committee on the position and the standard of the memorial, and the district on the number of men it sent to the front. The percentage of men killed, he said, was the highest he had known.
Chronicle (Adelaide), 2nd December 1922.
|Address:||Main Street, Minlaton, 5575|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -34.770743|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Actual Event STart Date:||04-August-1914|
|Actual Event End Date:||28-June-1919|
|Actual Monument Dedication Date:||Sunday 19th November, 1922|