Marrabel War MemorialPrint Page Print this page

The Marrabel War Memorial was erected in memory of those who served in World War One.

On Saturday last, in the presence of one of the largest crowds ever seen in Marrabel, the Soldiers' Memorial was unveiled by the "Soldiers Chum ", Mr Sammy Lunn, M.B.E. In 1920 the Hamilton District Council appointed a committee, with Mr. J. G. Wurst as chairman, and the district clerk (Mr. A. J. Stief) as secretary, who raised money to purchase a block of ground adjoining the Marrabel Hall. The work of erecting the monument was entrusted to Mr. R.W. Tillett and he carried it out with great skill; the fence was erected by the Cyclone Company. The Hon. W. Hannaford was proud and pleased to be present to honor the memory of the brave lads who fell fighting for King and Empire. He was also proud of the nurses who had left Australia, and particularly two nurses, who held the highest distinction it was possible to attain. One of these, born and educated at Marrabel, Miss Louise Collis Dorrington, besides being awarded a number of French, Serbian, and American decorations, was lately awarded the diploma and medal of the Legion of Honor.
The Advertiser, 9th March 1922.



Address:Main Road, Oddfellows Hall, Marrabel, 5413
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -34.144807
Long: 138.877723
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map


Monument Type:Monument
Monument Theme:Conflict
Actual Event STart Date:04-August-1914
Actual Event End Date:28-June-1919
Monument Manufacturer:Mr. R.W.Tillett


Actual Monument Dedication Date:Friday 17th March, 1922
Source: TOH, MA
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au
Proudly sponsored by UBC Web Design