Kapunda Institute Soldiers` Memorial HallPrint Page
Kapunda Institute Soldiers` Memorial Hall contains three honour rolls in a room, and also has rooms for the Returned Services League (RSL) activities. The Memorial Hall is dedicated to those who enlisted in World War One.
When the question arose of erecting a memorial in Kapunda to those men who had enlisted from here during the Great War, a scheme for enlarging the Institute was the first adopted, and subscriptions were solicited to carry it into effect. For various reasons, which need not be revived now, the response was not so generous as had been anticipated, but nevertheless an amount of about £1,300 was paid or promised toward the movement. The estimated cost of the work proved to be nearly double what was thought it would be and for that reason the committee in charge were nonplussed, consequently for some time the scheme has been in abeyance. At a meeting of subscribers to the Institute it was decided, on completion of the work, to make all returned soldiers, sailors, and nurses life members of the institution.
Kapunda Herald (SA), 23rd May 1924.
The design for tne roll of honour and photographic record to be erected in the Kapunda Institute came to hand on Saturday, and is a beautiful piece of work. It was exhibited in Main Street during the week, and much admired. The committee is desirous of securing a photograph of every soldier who has enlisted from the town or district and relatives are asked to forward them to the Secretary (Mr. H. Hughes) or to the Chairman (Mr. T. Warner.)
Kapunda Herald (SA), 10 August 1917.
|Address:||Hill Street, Kapunda, 5373|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -34.340384|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Actual Event STart Date:||1914-08-04|
|Actual Event End Date:||1919-06-28|
|Approx. Monument Dedication Date:||1929|
SOLDIERS' MEMORIAL HALL