St George Anglican Church Bells Print Page
The St George Anglican Church Bells commemorate the men of Gawler who gave their lives in World War One.
Some time ago it was decided to erect a peal of bells in St. George's Church of England, Gawler, as a memorial to the soldiers who served and made the supreme sacrifice in the war. Through the kindness of the Agent-General (Sir Edward Lucas) and Dr. Walford Davies, the committee are in receipt of information regarding the best chimes to be bought in lieu of the cast bells, which would cost something like £1,500 to £2.000. The hemispherical chime of 12 would cost about £650 by the time they could be erected, that amount covering duty and freight. A peal of eight would cost about £100 less. The money in hand is just on £400, and it was the hope of the church and residents of Gawler that the bells would be erected bv April 23 (St. George's Day) this year, but as the money is required before the order can be cabled to England there seems no hope of obtaining the bells in time, unless the necessary money is promptly forthcoming.
The Register (Adelaide), 12 January 1921.
|Address:||Orleana Square, St George Anglican Church, Gawler, 5118|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -34.596997|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Actual Event STart Date:||04-August-1914|
|Actual Event End Date:||28-June-1919|
|Actual Monument Dedication Date:||Sunday 25th September, 1921|