Dublin Methodist Church Memorial Hall Print Page
Dublin Methodist Church Memorial Hall was erected in memory of the fallen of World War One. The church is now a private residence and a cairn has been erected at the site.
In 1920 following the conclusion of World War One, an extension to the Dublin Church was planned for a Memorial Hall and Kindergarten and Mr Rossiter provided the plans and specifications. A tender was accepted for Mr Jonathon Porter to be paid 95 pounds to build the extension.
On 24 April 1920 the foundation stone was laid by Mrs G Taylor to the Glory of God and in memory of the three soldiers from the district who were Killed in Action during World War One - Pte Norman Thompson, Pte Lloyd Habner and Liet. Cecil E. Patterson. The hall was also blessed for the use and well being of the Kindergarten children. Three round windows were etched in memory of the above named soldiers. The Dublin Methodist Church Hall extension was opened in 1921.
|Address:||Sixth Street, Dublin, 5501|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -34.453247|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Actual Event STart Date:||04-August-1914|
|Actual Event End Date:||28-June-1919|
DUBLIN METHODIST CHURCH
The land was donated to the
Primitive Methodist Church in 1880
by Mr Anthony.
The church was designed by Mr Haslem
and built by Mr Fielding.
The Six Church Foundation Stones were laid
on the 10th and 12th October 1880.
The first service in February 1881 was
conducted by Rev. Clark of Victoria.
The last service on December 31st, 1967
was conducted by the Rev. J.A. Dawes.
The property privately owned since
July 18th 1968.
MEMORIAL KINDERGARTEN HALL
Designed by Mr Rossiter and built by
Mr Jonathon Porter and his son Brice.
Foundation Stone for the Memorial Kindergarten
Hall laid 24th April 1920.
The Hall is a memorial to three local soldiers
who died in WW1.
Pte Lloyd Habner, 2nd. Lieut. Cecil N. Patterson MC,
Pte Norval Thompson.