Cobdogla Soldiers Memorial InstitutePrint Page Print this page

Photographs supplied by Graeme Saunders

The Cobdogla Soldiers Memorial Institute was erected to commemorates those from the District who died in service or were killed in action in World War One. The foundation stone for the hall was laid in 1923 and the hall was officially opened on the 28th June 1924.

Saturday was a red letter day in the history of Cobdogla, on the occasion of the opening ceremony of the Soldiers' Memorial Institute. The Hon. J. Jelley, M.L.C., had motored from the city to open the hall.  A large crowd assembled outside the entrance of the new building to witness the ceremony. Mr. A. T. Coats (President of the Institute Committee) introduced the Chief Secretary. In welcoming Mr. Jelley, he referred to the effort made, extending over a number of years to attain an ideal, partially achieved that day. The hall had been erected as a district memorial to the men who had fallen in the Great War. He presented Mr. Jelley with a silver key and asked him to declare the hall open.
The Register (Adelaide), 3rd July 1924.


Address:Shueard Road & McLeod Street, Cobdogla, 5346
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -34.243453
Long: 140.403935
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map


Monument Type:Structure
Monument Theme:Conflict
Actual Event STart Date:04-August-1914
Actual Event End Date:28-June-1919


Actual Monument Dedication Date:Wednesday 5th December, 1923
Front Inscription

Cobdogla Soldiers Memorial Institute


Source: MA,TOH
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au
Proudly sponsored by UBC Web Design