Cherry Gardens Soldiers Memorial ParkPrint Page
Cherry Gardens Soldiers Memorial Park commemorates those who served in World War One.
The opening ceremony in connection with the soldiers memorial park took place on the 13th October 1923. Although showery weather prevailed there was a good attendance. The chairman of the memorial committee, Mr. A. R. Stone, introduced the Hon. G. R. Laffer (Commissioner of Crown Lands), who performed the opening ceremony severing the stands of ribbon drawn across the gateway, with a pair of silver scissors presented to him by the members of the committee.
Two acres of valuable frontage land were donated by Mr. Henry Jacobs for the purpose of raising a memorial to the soldiers of the district. It has been planned with valuable ornamental trees and shrubs from all parts of the world, under the supervision of Mr. Hookings (Mr. Snow's head gardener) who gave his services; 186 trees end 23 shrubs have been planted, and although the past two seasons have been unfavorable only six trees have been lost.
Chronicle (Adelaide), 20th October 1923.
|Address:||Cherry Gardens Road, Cherry Gardens, 5157|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -35.062688|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Actual Event STart Date:||04-August-1914|
|Actual Event End Date:||28-June-1919|
|Actual Monument Dedication Date:||Saturday 13th October, 1923|
The Cherry Gardens Soldiers Memorial Park was officially opened on October 13, 1923. It was built on land donated by Mr. Henry Jacobs and developed as a living memorial to those who served during the First World War. One Golden Cypress was planted for each family that lost a son during the conflict. Following the restoration and relocation of the monuments the park was rededicated on October 13, 2002 by Mayor Ray Gilbert OAM JP of the City of Onkaparinga.