Belvidere Memorial HallPrint Page
Belvidere Memorial Hall was erected in memory of those who served in World War One.
In 1919 a meeting was held to consider what means should be taken to perpetuate the district's contribution in manhood towards the fight for the preservation of liberty. Seventeen boys enlisted from Belvidere, five of whom made the supreme sacrifice. At that meeting it was decided to erect a Soldiers' Memorial Hall. On the 30th April 1921, the foundation stone for the hall was laid by General Leane.
The opening ceremony was performed by Capt. H. S. Hudd, M.C., M.P., in the presence of a big crowd, on the 24th September 1921. Captain Hudd took the opportunity in doing this to give a very interesting and impressive address in which he outlined the history of the Australian forces in the war, reviewing their connection with the Gallipoli landing, the Egyptian campaign, and the battle areas of France, his eloquent and stirring descriptions thrilling his hearers, and presenting to many of them a far better idea than they had formerly realized of all that stood to the credit of the Australian soldiery. He expressed admiration for the splendid tribute that the Belvidere people had erected to the honor of their boys, and had the greatest possible pleasure in declaring the fine hall open.
Southern Argus (Port Elliot), 5th May, 29th September 1921.
|Address:||Langhorne Creek Road, Belvidere, 5255|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -35.291581|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Actual Event STart Date:||04-August-1914|
|Actual Event End Date:||28-June-1919|
|Monument Manufacturer:||Mr J.F. Kennedy (Strathalbyn)|
|Actual Monument Dedication Date:||Saturday 24th September, 1921|