Light Horse Memorial Print Page
A monument commemorates the Light Horsemen who died in battle during World War One. A commemorative plaque was added to the memorial in 2016 through funding from the Saluting Their Service Community Grants Program.
The Light Horse Memorial is a grey Harcourt Victorian granite column set on a square base. At the apex of the monument is an electric globe held in place by a bronze bracket. Originally the light was intended to be lit from sunset to sunrise.
The Australian Light Horse were involved in many famous battles in World War One, including the bayonet charge at ‘The Nek’, Gallipoli (17 August 1915) and the famous cavalry charge at Beersheba, Palestine (31 October 1917).
On Sunday afternoon, 5th April , a monument, erected in memory of the Australian Light Horse, at the corner of North and East Terraces, Adelaide, was unveiled by his Excellency the Governor. Chaplain W. A. Moore dedicated the monument to the memory of the Australian Light Horse.
Chronicle (Adelaide), 11th April 1925
|Address:||North & East Terraces, Adelaide, 5000|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -34.921179|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Actual Event STart Date:||04-August-1914|
|Actual Event End Date:||28-June-1919|
|Monument Designer:||G. Gavin Lawson|
|Monument Manufacturer:||South Australian Monumental Works|
|Actual Monument Dedication Date:||Sunday 5th April, 1925|
At The Going Down Of The Sun And In The Morning
We Will Remember Them