Catholic Soldiers of South AustraliaPrint Page
A Pulpit commemorates the Catholic soldiers of South Australia who sacrificed their lives in World War One.
The pulpit in memory of South Australia Catholic Soldiers who fell in the Great War was dedicated by Archbishop, Dr. Spence on the 8th March 1931. The designer of the pulpit was Mr. Jory, and the craftsman Mr. W. J. Price, of Adelaide. Including the canopy or tester, it is 20 ft high, and is constructed of Tasmanian blackwood. It is supported on a single stem, or shaft, from where it branches cut into an octagon, of which six panels are ornamented with treble richly carved canopies, decorated with many beautiful details and devices. Another panel forms a memorial tablet and contains an inscription in raised lettering —'Dedicated to the memory of the Catholic soldiers of South Australia, who sacrificed their lives in the Great War, 1914-1918.'
Very striking in design and workmanship is the cornice, which shows a carved frieze of vine leaf and grape ornament, and gives an air of great richness and beauty to the ensemble. The eight triangular sides, or panels, of the canopy, which exhibit a great wealth of carved detail, end in a graceful foliated finial.
Advertiser and Register (Adelaide), 7th March 1931.
|Address:||33 Wakefield Street, St Francis Xavier Cathedral, Adelaide, 5000|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -34.928721|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Monument Type:||Religious Object|
|Actual Event STart Date:||04-August-1914|
|Actual Event End Date:||28-June-1919|
|Actual Monument Dedication Date:||Sunday 8th March, 1931|
DEDICATED TO THE MEMORY OF THE CATHOLIC SOLDIERS OF SOUTH AUSTRALIA WHO SACRIFICED THEIR LIVES IN THE GREAT WAR
1914 - 1918