www.monumentaustralia.org.au

Soldiers MemorialPrint Page Print this page

13-June-2015
13-June-2015

Photographs supplied by Graeme Saunders / Chris McLaughlin

The Soldiers Memorial forms the gates to the Yackandandah Gardens, and was constructed after World War One.  The wrought iron fence was forged locally in Meurant's Foundry, and the fence pillars list 216 names of those who served in World War One.

The memorial gardens were opened by Mrs W. Ramsay on the 9th June 1924 and the memorial tablets containing the honour roll of the men of the district was unveiled Mr H. Beardmore M.L.A. after a prayer of commemoration to the fallen soldiers and the playing of "The Last Post".
Wodonga and Towong Sentinel, 13th June 1924.

Location

Address:Wellsford & High Streets, Yackandandah, 3749
State:VIC
Area:AUS
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -36.313199
Long: 146.838026
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map

Details

Monument Type:Gate
Monument Theme:Conflict
Sub-Theme:WW1
Actual Event STart Date:04-August-1914
Actual Event End Date:28-June-1919

Dedication

Actual Monument Dedication Date:Monday 9th June, 1924
Front Inscription

 SOLDIERS MEMORIAL

In Honour
Of Those Who Served
And Those Who Paid
The Supreme Sacrifice
In Defence Of Their Country

Left Side Inscription

(Inner Pillar) 

Fidelis us que ad mortem

Lest We Forget 

[ Names ]

(Outer Pillar)

Served In The Great War 1914 - 18

[ Names ]

 

Right Side Inscription

(Inner Pillar) 

Fidelis us que ad mortem

Lest We Forget 

[ Names ]

(Outer Pillar)

Served in the Great War 1914 - 18

[ Names ]

Source: MA,RSLV,SKP,VWHI, MA
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au
Proudly sponsored by UBC Web Design