www.monumentaustralia.org.au

Arch of TriumphPrint Page Print this page

25-February-2014
25-February-2014

Photographs supplied by Kent Watson / Sandra Brown

The Arch of Triumph forms the entrance to the Botanic Gardens and was erected by the citizens of White Hills to commemorate those who served in World War One.

Residents of White Hills are erecting an arch of triumph as a memorial to district soldiers who took part in the war. The arch, which is to cost £200, is to be built of brick and cement. On it there will be four bronze tablets. On the tablets on the extreme sides of the archway will be the names of the soldiers who fought and returned, while on those separated by the vehicle entrance will be placed the names of fallen soldiers. The balances of the local Red Cross Fund and Welcome Home Committee have been merged into the Memorial Fund.
The Herald (Melbourne), 7 October 1920. 


Bendigo, Saturday. The Arch of Triumph erected by residents of White Hills at the entrance to the Botanical Gardens, as a memorial to local soldiers who fought in the war, was officially opened this afternoon by Mr Joseph Sternberg, M.L.C.
The Herald (Melbourne), 23 May 1925. 

Location

Address:557-559 Napier Street, Botanic Gardens, White Hills, 3550
State:VIC
Area:AUS
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -36.72414
Long: 144.310324
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map

Details

Monument Type:Structure
Monument Theme:Conflict
Sub-Theme:WW1
Actual Event STart Date:04-August-1914
Actual Event End Date:28-June-1919

Dedication

Actual Monument Dedication Date:Saturday 23rd May, 1925
Front Inscription
      ARCH OF TRIUMPH
1914                                 1918
Left Side Inscription

Erected
  By
Residents
  Of
White Hills
& District

[Names] 

Right Side Inscription
[Names] 
Source: MA,RSLV,SKP,VWHI
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au
Proudly sponsored by UBC Web Design