Soldiers Memorial HallPrint Page
Soldiers Memorial Hall was erected to commemorate those who served in World War One.
The Tallygaroopna community, met in September 1919 to discuss the best means of commemorating the men who served in the Great War, unanimously decided to build a new memorial hall. The existing timber 1880s Mechanics' Institute and Free Library, was demolished to make way for the next building. The foundation stone for the Hall was laid by Colonel (later Sir) Murray Bourchier, MLA, CMG, DSO, on 1 January 1924. Bourchier had entered the Legislative Assembly as the Victorian Farmers' Union member for Goulburn Valley in 1921, and the plight of the returned soldier had been his active concern. It was fitting, therefore, that he laid the foundation stone for this Memorial Hall in his own electorate. The building was later opened by Dr Earle Page, Acting Prime Minister, on 9 June 1924. The day was celebrated with a sports afternoon, dinner, concert and dance.
|Address:||Victoria & Fowler Streets, Tallygaroopna, 3634|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -36.238957|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Actual Event STart Date:||04-August-1914|
|Actual Event End Date:||28-June-1919|
|Actual Monument Dedication Date:||Tuesday 1st January, 1924|
AD 1914 1918. SOLDIERS` MEMORIAL HALL.
TO COMMEMORATE THE SERVICES OF THOSE WHO FOUGHT IN THE GREAT WAR. 1914 1918"LEST WE FORGET"
TO THOSE WHO SERVED IN THE GREAT WAR 1914 - 1918. ERECTED BY RESIDENTS OF TALLYGAROOPNA AND DISTRICT (names)
EGYPT GALLIPOLI FRANCE BELGIUM PALESTINE MESPOT
THIS STONE WAS LAID BY COL. M. W. J. BOURCHIER M.L.A. - C.M.G. - D.S.O. - V.D. 1ST JANUARY 1924
Egypt Gallipoli France
Belguim Palestine Mespot