www.monumentaustralia.org.au

Soldiers Memorial HallPrint Page Print this page

24-May-2017
24-May-2017

Photographs supplied by Chris McLaughlin

The Memorial Hall was erected in memory of those from the district who served in World War One.

The Mayor of Prahran (Cr. G. N. Heyward) yesterday afternoon laid the foundation stone of the hall which is being erected in High-street) Prahran, as a memorial to the sailors and soldiers of Prahran who fought in the great war. There was a very large assemblage of citizens including Mr. Maxwell, M.P., Mr. D. Mackinnon, M.L.A., and the executive of the local Returned Sailors and Soldiers League. The hall will be a two-story building of monumental classic design, estimated to cost £3600, and the money has been raised by the local patriotic committee. Prahran city council acquired the land at a cost of £1200. The mayor stated that the new building, when completed, would be handed over to the local branch of the Returned Sailors and Soldiers League for use as a club house, free of debt. He thanked Mrs. W. R. Young, secretary, and Cr. E. H. Willis, organiser, and the local patriotic carnival committee for their work in raising the necessary funds and for their work throughout the war, which had resulted in the collecting of between £50,000 and £60,000 for patriotic purposes. Col. Holdsworth, president of the local Returned Soldiers' League, briefly thanked the mayor and citizens for their generous gift. Subsequently, the visitors were entertained by the mayor at afternoon tea in the A.N.A. Hall. 
Age (Melbourne), 26 August 1920.

Location

Address:301 High Street, Prahran, 3181
State:VIC
Area:AUS
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -37.852352
Long: 144.998191
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map

Details

Monument Type:Structure
Monument Theme:Conflict
Sub-Theme:WW1
Actual Event STart Date:04-August-1914
Actual Event End Date:28-June-1919

Dedication

Approx. Monument Dedication Date:1920
Front Inscription

R. S. L. 
MEMORIAL HALL

1920


 

Left Side Inscription
Plaque:
This Building Was Erected By The Citizens of Prahran
To The Memory Of Their Sailors And Soldiers
Who Fought In The Great War 1914 -1918

This Foundation Stone Was Laid By The Mayor of Prahran
Cr. George N. Heyward J.P. 1920

W.Machin              Haddon & Henderson
Builder                   Architects      
Source: MA,RSLV,SKP
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au
Proudly sponsored by UBC Web Design