Soldiers and Sailors Memorial PavilionPrint Page
Pavilion commemorates the Soldiers and Sailors who served in World War One.
It was erected in 1923, but a pavilion for the gardens was proposed in 1881, but it was only in 1921 when the local branch of the Returned Sailors and Soldiers Imperial League planned a Memorial Pavilion, that the pavilion was built.
In the early 1950s tenders were invited for renovations to and repainting of the pavilion, and it appears that at this time the stairs were redesigned and rebuilt in their present position. At this time or perhaps in the 1960s the side changing rooms were constructed.
In the 1990`s substantial additions were undertaken to the pavilion. It seems that the stairs were remodelled and rebuilt and the entrances to the changing room area re-designed. Additions included the construction of the south kiosk; the three gables rear addition on the west side of the 1923 grandstand and the 1950s extension.
|Address:||10 Cox Street, Port Fairy Botanical Gardens, Port Fairy, 3284|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -38.376422|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Actual Event STart Date:||04-August-1914|
|Actual Event End Date:||28-June-1919|
|Actual Monument Dedication Date:||1922|
S & S Pavilion
Soldiers and Sailors Memorial Pavilion
Erected in 1923 by the Returned Soldiers League
Refurbished by the Borough of Port Fairy and officially opened by Mr John McGrath M.L.A. 22nd August 1987
Mayor Cr Douglas Allan