www.monumentaustralia.org.au

St. James` Memorial ChurchPrint Page Print this page

St James Memorial Church
St James Memorial Church

Photographs supplied by Diane Watson

St. James' Anglican Church, Orbost, was conceived and built as a memorial to the men 'who served and suffered during the Great War' as noted on the foundation stone. The Right Reverend GH Cranswick, DD, Bishop of Gippsland, laid the stone on 1 October 1927. Three windows were ordered from Brooks, Robinson & Co. by the Rector, the Reverend JB Montgomerie, in March 1928, which were installed in time for the opening of the building. 
 

Location

Address:Ruskin & Browning Streets, St James Church, Orbost, 3888
State:VIC
Area:AUS
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -37.707766
Long: 148.456555
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map

Details

Monument Type:Structure
Monument Theme:Conflict
Sub-Theme:WW1
Actual Event STart Date:04-August-1914
Actual Event End Date:28-June-1919

Dedication

Actual Monument Dedication Date:Saturday 1st October, 1927
Front Inscription
ST JAMES MEMORIAL CHURCH
TO THE GLORY OF GOD
                And
In Remembrance Of Those Who Served 
And Suffered During The Great War 
1914- 1919 A.D..
This Stone Was Laid By
THE RIGHT REV.G.H.CRANSWICK, D.D..
    Bishop Of Gippsland
       1st October 1927. 
Rector The Rev. J.B. Montgomerie. 

 
Source: MA, VHD
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au
Proudly sponsored by UBC Web Design